The Station House


Again, I pulled out my Entertainment Book and found a voucher for The Station House in Blackburn. I’ve found some great eateries so far with the Entertainment Book that I may not have found otherwise. Hopefully, The Station House would also be a hidden gem. The space is quite large and stretches right back. The interior doesn’t really have a consistent theme but I feel it is somewhere you could spend as long as you please enjoying a cup of coffee. The menu has the option for gluten free bread to be substituted for an extra $1.00 which is great for those with a gluten intolerance.  






WHAT’S ON THE MENU?
·        Pancake Stack with fresh strawberries, vanilla ice-cream and maple syrup ($17.00)
·        Chicken Ragu with freshly made papparadelle – chicken bites slow cooked in a pesto and butter sauce tossed through delicious house-made pasta ($18.00)
·        Salmon Omelette with organic sourdough toast with smoked salmon, fresh dill, capers ($17.00)
·        Wintery bowl of warm oats with cranberries, apple, raisins and maple syrup ($12.00) 


WHAT WE ATE...
The menu is quite expensive for what is on offer compared with other cafés. For example, the ‘Pancakes’ (listed above) had rather simple toppings for $17.00 whereas you would expect something fancier for that price. I decided to have the ‘Gardenia Burger: field mushroom, spinach, jalapeño mayo served with seasoned chunky chips ($16.00)’. I was expecting a whole field mushroom as it was a burger but instead my burger was filled with sautéed mushrooms which made it difficult to eat. The jalapeño mayo was missing in action initially but the waitress was more than happy to find some for me when I asked. I’m afraid it was very watery and the burger overall was lacking in flavour. The roll was very nice and I did receive a massive amount of chips.

Gardenia Burger

My dining companion opted for the ‘Seasonal Mushroom Bruschetta: mushrooms sautéed in garlic, parsley and lemon served on organic sourdough toast topped with a free range poached egg and feta with lemon and ginger dressing ($16.00)’. Again, this differed from the menu. No sign of the lemon and ginger dressing and instead the bruschetta was covered in a balsamic dressing. The poached egg was overcooked, the bread was hard and the feta was in short supply. However, maybe they were just having a bad day in the kitchen on this occasion.

Mushroom Bruschetta

WHAT WE DRANK...
If the weather wasn’t freezing I would have had a Peroni ($7.00) with my burger and chips. Maybe an Iced Chai with cream ($6.50)... My latte ($3.70) made with Coffee Supreme took a long time to arrive but was very nice.

Latte

SERVICE...
The service was friendly and relaxed. 


Address: 110 South Parade, Blackburn, VIC

Phone: 03 9894 0041




Trading Hours:
Mon – Fri: 8.00am – 3.00pm
Sat – Sun: 9.00am – 4.00pm

Click to add a blog post for The Station House Food and Drinks on Zomato



P.S. Other eateries nearby are Nuts About Coffee, Urban Zinc and Gourmet Girl...


Comments

Popular Posts