Kong BBQ

I open up this month’s Gourmet Traveller and what do I find on page 46? A recipe for Kong’s gorgeous peanut butter tofu buns with burnt chilli mayo! A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed this dish ($6.00) at Kong but there was one problem... I only ordered one! The intense flavour was like a smack around the face. A few moments later and this tangy beauty was gone without a trace. The memory still lingers on...

Peanut Butter Tofu Bun

If you love Chin Chin or Baby, then it’s time you tried The Lucas Group’s newest creation, Kong. The menu is Japanese and Korean inspired with lots of vegetarian options available. However, don’t feel left out if you love your meat! After all, this is a BBQ restaurant... There’s the ‘Spicy pork belly bun with pickled cucumber and Kong crazy horse chilli ($6.00)’ and for the extremely carnivorous, the ‘Kong Bossam BBQ Tray ($29.00)’.

 
I was feeling quite vegetarian that day so I ordered the ‘Fried rice with enoki mushroom and soy charred tofu ($14.00)’. The flavour was quite gentle so I added lots of chilli sauce as I love a bit of fire.

Vegetarian Fried Rice
 
My dining companion also chose a fried rice dish. The ‘Fried rice kimchi and beef brisket with egg ($16.00)’ was more flavoursome than the vegetarian fried rice and was rather spicy. Although, there was some gristle in the brisket...

Beef Brisket Fried Rice
  
Feel like something sweet to end your meal? For dessert there is the ‘Coconut sago with passionfruit and pineapple trifle ($12.00)’ or the ‘Apple and walnut tart with miso butterscotch and Japanese whiskey ice-cream ($13.00)’.

 
The service was extremely efficient. Perhaps, too efficient? We were in and out in a short period of time... I can’t wait to try some other dishes from Kong’s menu. In the meantime, I shall endeavour to vaguely recreate the tofu buns from the recipe...


Address: 599 Church Street, Richmond, VIC

Phone: 03 9427 1307


 

Trading Hours:
Daily: 7.00am - late

Kong BBQ on Urbanspoon
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts